"Say what you have to say, and not what you ought."
~ Henry David Thoreau



Thursday, July 6, 2017

30 Years


On July 8, 1987 I reported for my first day of work at my first real job. Although I'd pursued a job there with single-minded determination, refusing to even apply elsewhere (much to the frustration of my dad!), I didn't imagine I was beginning a 30-year career there. Tomorrow I'll walk out the doors there for the last time. Sadly, I won't be officially retiring, although I do have the gift of a pension coming my way on my 65th birthday! 

In this day and age, it's a rare thing for someone to work at the same place for so long. Longevity and loyalty is good. Being too comfortable isn't. I do my best work when I'm challenged and learning new things. After three decades I decided it was time for a major change and new challenges. I needed to shake myself out of my comfort zone and move on. 

I'm excited, nervous, intimidated and honored to have been selected as the Executive Director of a local non-profit, Family Counseling Service of Northern Utah. After serving on their board of trustees for 3 1/2 years, I've come to know the organization and their work well. I'm thrilled about taking on a role that allows me to combine my professional and volunteer experience with my personal passion and commitment to access to affordable mental health services and mental health awareness. 

Looking back on the last 30 years I mostly marvel at how quickly the years have flown by. You know the Kenny Chesney song "Don't Blink"? It's true. One day you're a shy, quiet 17-year old. Then, you blink and you're 47-years old and leaving your job of 30 years. Mixed in with all those hours, days, weeks and years spent working, I graduated from high school, then college, got married, divorced (more than once!), had a child, volunteered on countless boards and committees, laughed, cried, loved, lost, struggled, triumphed, learned to juggle working full-time and single parenthood, and raised an amazing daughter! 

It feels a bit like I'm jumping from the nest. Several weeks ago I was talking to a friend about my apprehension over making the leap from comfort and security to risky and unknown. He gave me some good advice. "Go ahead and let go of the edge of the cliff and drop the inch you're going fall." He was right. I let go. The fall wasn't bad at all.


 A Career (and hairstyle) Retrospective

1st Day of Work
My Project Coordinator days
1993

Riverdale City flood clean-up
New branch ribbon cutting 
Holiday Buffet
2 weeks before giving birth!
Management Seminar 60's Night fun.
1999ish
Hangin' with Donny Osmond, Orrin Hatch and Michael
Bolton. Umm...weird.
USU Ladies Football Clinic  
I was paid to attend hundreds of banquets and eat
lots of food over my 30 year career!
John Walsh, my bestie, Dennis Haysbert and me!
Annual Food Drive
Another year, another Ladies Football Clinic
Only one of us could kick a field goal like a
champ, and it wasn't me!
Lakeview Elementary Warm the Soles party
Warm the Soles
Just another day at work.
Halloween 2016, which is the ONLY time I ever
wore a Halloween costume to work.
Dropping off Backpack Bonanza donations
to Catholic Community Services.

5 comments:

  1. Great pictures and retrospective, Keicha. Thanks for sharing with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have had an amazing career. The events you have organized and those you have attended boggles my mind. I loved seeing this photo tour of you and the things you have done. I'm so incredibly proud of you. Now, I get to watch you take on a new challenge. I know you will have great success on your new position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Keisha and best of luck in your new job. 30 years is an accomplishment. How wonderful that you found a new job that matches your skill set and your passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's fun to look through all your looks over time! I bet the newest look will have that big smile, like the old ones! congratulations, Keicha. That seems like such a perfect fit for you. It must have been a difficult decision to leave in many ways but I think this sounds right where you belong.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback.