"Say what you have to say, and not what you ought."
~ Henry David Thoreau



Monday, August 13, 2012

Beantown and Back


“I have found out that there ain’t no surer way to find out whether you like people or hate them than to travel with them.”Mark Twain

Earlier this month Gillian and I took a trip to Boston to visit my brother Jon, sister-in-law Sam, and nephew Atticus. Our journey started in Colorado, where we met up with Atticus, who had been spending time there with his grandma Rita.  The three of us flew together from Denver to Boston.  Luckily, I already knew that I liked both of my travel companions, having traveled with both of them before in a variety of places.  Gillian has been flying since she was seven months old, and Atticus has traveled further than most 9-year olds I know, so navigating airports and crowded flights with the two of them was a breeze! 

It was my second trip to Boston and Gillian’s first. On my first visit, my sister Julie and I drug four-year old Atticus all over the city, logging so many miles on the Freedom Trail that the poor kid developed an aversion to the Freedom Trail that still exists five years later. Just the mention of it brings panic to his eyes.  That trip was marked by daily meltdowns every afternoon, when the three of us would be exhausted and in need of a pick-me-up that only Starbucks (iced coffees for Julie and I and Madeleine cookies for Atticus) could provide. This trip was much different.  Sam was there to join in the fun (last visit she was studying in Bangladesh) and there were no meltdowns.  Our trip to Starbucks was more for nostalgia’s sake than anything else. 

Gillian's number one, non-negotiable request for the trip was a beach day on Cape Cod.  She got her beach day, and she also got plenty of bonding time with her cousin, uncle and aunt.  Gillian hasn't spent much time with Atticus through the years, since he's lived so far away and my two previous visits to visit Jon and family in both Boston and Bangladesh didn't include her.  I loved seeing the two cousins connect and get to know each other better.  By the end of the trip they were teasing and antagonizing each other just like siblings!

For me, the trip was not only an opportunity to spend time with some of my favorite people, it was also a chance to make new memories in a city I last visited with Julie.  I loved being there with her.  We really bonded on that trip, and I view it as the time our adult relationship as peers really blossomed.  It was good to be back to revisit my memories, and to be able to make new ones of shared, happy, silly, carefree moments with others I love and cherish as much as I loved and cherished her.  
Jon entertaining Gillian and Atticus while waiting for the T.
Playing on the docks
Madeleine cookies for Atticus
We spent a fun afternoon playing the classic New England game of Candle Pin Bowling.
Waiting to have some Boston Cream Pie at the Green Dragon Tavern,
 birthplace of the American Revolution.
Jon showing off his candle pin bowling moves.
Riding the duck boats at Boston Public Garden.
In the stockades in Salem.
Lunch at The Lobster Shanty in Salem 
Dunkin' Donuts-a Boston tradition! 
Gillian sharing her donut with a hungry looking pirate. 
Sam and I doing our best imitation of elderly women crossing the road.

Proud sand castle creators at Nauset Beach.
Gillian getting on Atticus' last nerve.
Lunch in Chinatown.
Gillian showing off her Chinatown souvenir umbrella.

Hipsters









4 comments:

  1. Oh, great pictures, and great memories created on this trip. I can see that everyone had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great trip! We had so much fun, and did create some wonderful memories. It was fun for me to share some of my favorite things about Boston with my daugther.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful visit and how wise and brave it was for you to visit this spot that you and Julie both loved and experienced together. I can imagine it would bring so many feelings to the front, but in the end, how joyful. I love the idea of seeing the cousins together. It sounds like a perfect holiday for you all. Makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a perfect holiday, but then, most holidays are perfect by their very nature, since they mean I'm not working. The cousin time was great, and I loved spending time with my brother and his wife, who are the perfect hosts and tour guides.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I appreciate your feedback.